Monday, February 16, 2009

Do you make fun of others? (2/9/09)

yes, not as much as I used to but yes, I do.

??

yes

??

Only if they're Republicans.

??

I take my fun where I can get it, but it seldom involves doing it at another person's expense.

??

You're kidding me with this one, right? I am, in fact, a literal comedian. I have no choice but to make fun of people. My latest choice is Williamsburg hipsters who claim to be seeking individuality while attempting to look the same as each other. They are no better than the corporate suits they make fun of.

??

I have fun laughing at people who make fun of others.....my favorite pastime is watching the Chelsea Lately show. She's a successful sailor-mouth comedian who bags on narcissistic celebrity culture; she is especially hilarious when slamming Britney, Lindsay, Paris Hilton and their parents. That's about the extent to which I make fun of others, other than a little harmless banter with my boss.

??

all the time!

??

Nope, I make fun with others!

??

Only gently

??

Only if they aren't already fun.

??

No disrepecting someone is not good karma nor good for the soul to sleep a restfully at night

??

Good question......not anymore, but back in the day.....watch out!

??

Busted. I do and I don't like that about me. I am very observant and I often comment aloud. I have learned to temper my comments to be less judgmental, but I still can't seem to shut it off completely. While skiing, I have been known to have a running commentary on the ski lift...call it my skier's "play by play." What's interesting about this question is that I consider myself adept at avoiding gossip...but then I still fall short of the ideal by criticizing and commenting on the foibles of strangers. If I don't make fun of them to their face and I don't know them, is it still bad? My "justification" is along the lines of the "If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it does it make a sound" argument. The truth is...I am still practicing being mean.

??

yes, of others, near others, about others, in regards to others...

The QOTW girl walks into a bar.
The bartender says "What are you drinking?"
The next day fifty people open up an email that says, "What are you drinking?"

Ba-dum!

??

Yes, but I only make fun of pompous people. Pomposity just ticks me off!

??

Only to their faces. And as often as I can.

??

People making fun others made me so uncomfortable and unhappy in school, that when I hear it going on i usually walk away. I'm a school teacher, and it's amazing how many adults regularly do it, then they wonder why so many of their kids are getting in trouble for bullying.
There are better ways to deal with one's insecurities.

??

Not since I was reprimanded by a nun in high school for making fun of the class weirdo. She stopped me in my tracks, and in that moment, I saw myself and didn't like what I saw. I never forgot it, and never did it again.

??

No more than I make fun of myself. Laughter is good for a gal!

??

only with affection, and if we are good friends.

i was made fun of far too much growing up to ever want to inflict that on anyone else, whether they can hear me or not.

??

Make fun of others, as in making fun of your friend for paying way to much for a bicycle tune-up? YES
Make fun of others, as in making fun of some person almost tripping on the sidewalk? YES
Make fun of others, as in making fun of my foreigner wife saying some word in English that sounds really weird? YES

I have definitely been known to make fun of others, and I try to make sure I do it in a way that they know about it, otherwise it is too easy!!

??

y'know, i am pleased to say, not too often, can't even remember. i mean sometimes to their face, but not behind a back.

??

nope ... never ...

??

Sometimes I do, and I usually end up feeling really bad about myself at those times. I'm trying to be more tolerant and accepting of the differences I see in people. Afterall, the world would be very boring if we were all the same.

??

Only if I know that the person is in on the fun making

??

only those cell phone guys.

??

I have a friend who has a really difficult time laughing at himself. Every few days, I make up a purportedly real news story about him. Sometimes it is as simple as taking some odd news story and changing the details, but usually there is much more fiction involved. According to some of these stories, my friend has found rare fungal species growing in his garden that caused the entire neighborhood to sing Mario Lanza songs and had a sneaker robbed on the street by a priest that thought it looked just like the Virgin Mary and who wouldn’t let him have it back, but placed it instead in a sanctuary for old ladies to shake their beads at it. He has been arrested while on line at Wall-Mart for moving too slowly forward with his cart, been arrested for running up the aisles on an airplane during flight in a superhero costume, and for being impertinent to a traffic agent. He had become the new Secretary of State and made a 36-hour movie involving a single static shot of cheese. He swam to Tokyo from New York, and was once mistaken for Miley Cyrus while touring in Moscow (he is a actually a man in his mid-forties) and given the keys to the city. In other stories, my friend very happily married his hound dog, started a campaign against nighttime (according to him actually being only deadly black air), and programmed all the outdoor December displays in his neighborhood to perform dirty ditties about Santa Claus, caused the financial crisis. There are actually many more since this has been going on for a couple of years and my friend sometimes howls (like “leave my mother out of it.”), but he really loves that I do it. In the end, I guess you can’t really call this making fun of him. Sticking a pin into the tense air of his balloon is more like it, given how much he appreciates them.

Do I make fun of people? How can I say no when only this morning I saw the story about how 63% of Americans don’t accept Darwin’s theories and reacted by saying to the friends near me that I was so proud to have been a monkey once, because at least I had an excuse then to explain why there were so many knuckleheads around. I don’t attack people individually anymore though. If I get the urge, I always think they have enough troubles with my own waste of energy I would expend in adding to them for them.

??

No, never. Honestly, I don't.

??

And mine...

For some reason, when my sisters and I all make fun of our mother, she just laughs and laughs.

No comments: