Tuesday, April 21, 2009

You sit at a table. Who do you face? (4/14/09)

Weird -- it's Anthony Hopkins.

??

the boy of my dreams that is currently living 4,000 kilometres away from here.

??

Sorry, I mean, Anthony Perkins!

??

quite often, I face the screen of my laptop......one of many windows to my world.
At my kitchen table, I usually eat alone and face toward the Northeast.......perhaps my way of paying homage to the state of Vermont........my home away from home. I'm most comforted, however when I'm facing a friend.

??

The door. Can't miss what might come in next!

??

Myself.

??

As I sit down, I am face to face with Scott, the beautiful blonde and
bearded man who I have been chasing around town for several years. My
eyes flirt with him and I signal to meet me in the Men's Lounge.

??

Sartre. That is, myself.

??

The most attractive girl.

??

I will be sitting across the person who is my hearts desire...and he has just told me he feels the same way about me.......

??

my son.

??

myself ... my present ... and my future

??

usually my cat, who, despite how many times i try to tell her, does not believe that i've already given her food.

??

my love/s

??

Me as I am reflected in all I see.

??

The wall.

??

At home, I sit at a 90 degree angle to my husband at the table so I face the slider to the deck and woods in the back yard.

If we dine out and are seated at a booth, I face my husband and it at a table, I would face a guest.

I sit at a 90 degree angle to my spouse so we don't feel compelled to speak, but rather can choose to speak. If sitting across from someone, speaking to them is almost obligatory. Mike is a very quiet person and enjoys the privacy of this thoughts. He made it very clear to me when we first stated dating that he doesn't view being introverted as there being "something wrong" with him and he resented other people trying to "fix him" by forcing him into conversation or to speak. He's quite adept at speaking when he needs to, he just doesn't feel compelled to. So, being one of the "fix him" types, we find it easier for me to respect his space if I sit next to, rather than across from...

??

A friend.

??

It's usually the kids' table, so I face the other kids.

??

Either a sponsee or someone in my knitting group - depends on which night of the week it is.

??

nobody......

??

In reality - my husband. I have been with him for 24 years and can't imagine wanting to face anyone else on any consistent basis. He makes me laugh.
In fantasy - Joseph Cornell. My favorite artist ever - I would love to sit at Bickford's with him and have prune whip and talk with him about his work.
Or maybe Joey Ramone. We'd be at a cheesy Italian restaurant and he'd be playing the accordion.

??

I face my kids for the half of the week that they're here. When they're not, I face a can of Lysol air freshener/disinfectant, a bottle of hand lotion, an electric pencil sharpener, a toaster oven and a rechargeable beard trimmer because there's no outlet in the bathroom... plus a few ghosts of my present and past who float through my consciousness when I'm sitting there. So much of life is contained in memories of the dinner table.

??

Well, if it isn't William Strunk, Jr, again! Or, is it that guy who beats the dead horse? Oh, that would be me! So, I'm looking in the mirror.

??

I face my father, and I am so happy. Boy, do I miss him.

??

And mine...

Who I am inside.

No comments: