Sunday, June 7, 2009

Are you being watched? Are you being loved? Are you being kind? (5/11/09)

I am. My 12 year old son is very affectionate and nudges his way under my arm, and my 2 year old daughter melts into my embrace. And my wife and I take the time to talk and kiss and communicate and support each other. Married-Parenting love isn't always the most romantic love, but it's often the love of your best, most generous self.

??

Totally.

??

It is a risk to let myself be loved. It is a risk I want to take more often.
My heart is hungry for it.

??

only when i'm awake, or dreaming sometimes.

??

Kind nice isn't surely kind heart. Kind soul may only reach kind shallow. Kind kick in the ass and kind kiss the raw animal belly of bliss yearn beyond the tepid servility of expectation.

??

All the time! By my family mostly, but also by a handful of friends and a group of strangers. And with my finely tuned spam blockers, I also receive random love from Internet strangers in the form of things like this: http://www.pixelcase.com.au/vr/2009/newyork/

??

Yes.......at the moment, I do not have romantic love in my life, but I see how my higher power has compensated by lifting the veil over my eyes and showing me the wonderful friends and family that love me...

??

yes

??

If you've never owned and loved a dog ... you really have not experienced love. I am loved.

??

Of course

??

My consumer habits are being tracked and my internet searches recorded so that the ads that pop up are dialed in to my interests. The speed and red light cameras don't catch me anymore, but the Metro video surveillance does. The grocery store "bonus card" gives marketers intimate insight into my demographic. They know what brand of tampons I buy and my secret Oreo addiction. When I swipe my bank card in Canaan Valley, WV, someone knows we're gone for the weekend...again. They know, too, that we haven't gone out since the end of ski season. Amazon knows my grandbabies live in Connecticut now. Huffington Post published a list political contributors in 2004, so so anyone doing a Google search for my name (not that I'm not an egomaniac, but I do so regularly because I am a consultant in a visible field) knows I supported Kerry. What they don't know why or how (not) enthusiastically I supported him.

I'm being watched, but not understood. With as much data there are out there about me, I feel remarkably (and sadly) invisible. No one watches ME, they watch my money.

??

Despite feelings to the contrary sometimes, I'd wager "yes, very much."

??

I'm a supervisor. My subordinates watch me constantly. Every single move I make, every action, every word I speak, every interaction I have with customers and associates. They're like little video recorders, they tape it all.

??

all the time, if i'm open to it.

??

All the time!

??

Yes

??

On my way to work this morning, I walked down to the lobby and looked up at the video cameras pointed at the front doors. I walked up to the corner to turn towards the train and a video camera in the alley behind me recorded my movements. Schoolchildren along the next block had stopped in two different places and were absorbed over their cellphones. Two of them were holding their phones straight up in front of their faces. They could have been snapping photographs of me or perhaps watching my movement with video. Various other alleys also had video cameras trained to scrutinize the passers-by. I walked into the train station and counted four upside down globes of video cameras by the time I entered through the turnstiles. There are two more globes on the platform, as well as two other cameras ostensibly trained for the conductor to watch on monitors in the middle of the station to see around the curve at the end and not close the doors on customers.

I changed to another train at a station which we know is on the radar screen of terrorists from Asia and the Mideast since a incident in the 1990's when a cadre was caught with bombs filled with nails which they were days away from igniting in this station. There are cameras galore. There are also cops, plainclothed and in uniform everywhere.

On the train, there are no official cameras, but there are more cellphones. I have surreptitiously taken film of other passengers myself when they were not watching. When I changed trains again, there were many more official cameras. At my destination station, more official cameras were everywhere. I walked the two blocks to my office building and went by the cameras in the courtyard, the lobby, the elevator and on my floor and then walked into my office. My manager was sitting at my computer looking through the work I had been doing.

I am being watched. You are being watched. We are being watched. And I am far more under the radar than you are.

??

I'm probably not interesting enough...

??

I hope so. It turns me on.

??

yes.

??

All day, every day, even if most of the time it's from someone who's no longer here - my Mom. Love and miss you, Mom!

??

Some times and other times it's all the ego

??

I am often told that I am. I guess that infers something.

??

not anymore. she is not the cyber stalking type....

??

Aren't we all, by someone? I don't believe in God, so that's not what I mean.

??

Constantly!!! (That's the money you could be saving with G-----!)

??

I wish.

??

Sometimes I think I'm being too kind. Compassion can be draining when it's practiced on an unlimited basis....

??

And mine...

Most of the time.

No comments: